Monday, June 15, 2009

Web development with Safari 4

I'm really a "Firefox with Firebug" fan if we are talking about Web development.

I wouldn't know what to do without Firebug as it allows me to investigate my page, run and debug my javascript code, change the styles on the fly, see which files are missing and much more.

But as you probably know, the biggest challenge in web development is being browser compliant. Typically I develop my APEX applications in Firefox, test it there and run another test in Safari (I'm developing on Mac). Having two browsers open is also handy to test session state and what is happening when multiple users are in the application.

I always dreamed of having Firebug also on Safari as sometimes something was working in Firefox but not in Safari. There is a Firebug lite, but I never liked it that much.
A few days ago I upgraded to Safari 4 and enabled the Develop toolbar (Preferences - Advanced).



You get a new Develop menu with a lot of options, just like in Firebug. I like it very much and the Web Inspector is also very impressive. I would definitely recommend to have a look at it, if you have a Mac and are doing web development.



In Safari 3 you could enable Web Inspector as well, but you had to run the following command in a Terminal window: "defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitDeveloperExtras -bool true"

If I test my applications in IE, I use the Web Developer toolbar.

11 comments:

Patrick Wolf said...

Hi Dimitri,

you where faster than me! :-) I was thinking to blog about the same Safari tip a few days ago too. It's really a nice and useful feature.

Regards
Patrick

Netultimate said...

The information’s given by you really good. I got good knowledge from your information’s. Thanks

To view more details in web development, visit http://www.netultimate.com

Anonymous said...

Scores of people surf the internet on a daily basis looking for blogs on specific topics and if you are among them, you won’t be disappointed after landing up at Bloggersblaze, a website that provides you with a blog directory that is considered to be the largest and most comprehensive over the internet. You will surely find the blog you are looking for in our social blog directory and by coming in touch with bloggersblaze, you would be able to enhance your knowledge on blogging and also it would be possible for you to connect with bloggers worldwide.

rocky said...

I found a Boulder web design it is totally based on customer satisfaction. They are very much professional and master in their work.

Shopping cart said...

The browser performed very vital role in web development. I think if the data base of any site will be perfect and accurate so there is now problem in uploading for any browser.

Shoping Cart said...

Safari 4 is a nice browser but not like Microsoft internet explorer or Mozilla Firefox. They are very user friendly and provides a pool of functionalities. Firefox provides firebug to trap a bug while developing a web site.

Unknown said...

Web development is a broad term this can include e-commerce business development, web design, web content development etc. And web development i think plays a major role in that. Thanks for sharing. . . We are web development company and offering web services.

Web Development Services said...

I like and appreciate you to provide me immense information.
Website development experts give due importance to the content on your website.

Web development said...

fabulous Posting
No matter whether they deal in same products or not; all the businesses are unique.

Fakhruddin40 said...

Safari 4 is very nice for web development.

Plastic Card

Web Development UK said...

It's really Great Blog
Thanks
It is important to ensure that the website is made user friendly and has all the relevant information about the company.
Website Development UK